Friday 26 June 2015

Just one question... With Martin Stephens


Sometimes just one question in an interview is all you need... That one question you were dying to know... Today's question goes to Martin Stephens, (born 19 July 1949) the former child actor, best known for his performances in the films 'Village of the Damned' and of course the unforgettable 'The Innocents' in 1961, starring the lovely Deborah Kerr. Those who have seen the film - and if you haven't, you really must - will never forget the shocking scene in which Stephens character, Miles, kisses his governess, Miss Giddens, in a very passionate and very inappropriate manner... And this scene is the one thing I needed to ask him about... 

"It was one of the only scenes I remember where Jack Clayton just told me what to do without going into detail why. Too complex for an 11 year old. So I Just did what was directed and held the kiss for as long as was wanted. That was my job. As Deborah was already a friend, it wasn't difficult to do. I didn't understand the deep undertones of that scene. Of course I do now and realise how revolutionary it was in 1961 to show scenes like that. Even more shocking than Lolita."

Sometimes one question is all you need.... 

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly what I would have asked!

    ReplyDelete